Monday, July 18, 2005

Apologia

My dear readers. I fear that I have been distant and chilly. For that, I apologize. These last few months have been a difficult time for me. Grak and I have been fighting -- over what I cannot tell. But we never talk any more. He just looks at my skull and licks his lips. It is super-creepy. I fear things are reaching some kind of conclusion.

But this is no excuse to allow my blogging to fall short of the standards you rightly expect fulfilled.

So...

Some news:

1) I have begun a new semester of teaching introductory philosophy. This has been terrific fun, since I've been teaching epistemology for the first time. It has also been extremely time consuming.

2) My dissertation has been lying prone for several weeks -- see #1 for an explanation. Also, my lap-top was stolen and so I lost a month's worth of my best work in years. Sigh. But I expect a rally soon.

3) I've been involved in some time-consuming personal drama. (Don't ask.)

4) I was working on a 3-beat piece of music -- a la "My Favorite Stuffs" -- but it turned into a Vietnam-style quagmire of polyrhythmic insanity. THE MADNESS HAD TO STOP! (Maybe I'll return to it in several months to prune it down a bit.) How I miss good old-fashioned 4/4 time!

5) Due to my extreme poverty, I've been living on peanut-butter, toast, and vitamin pills. I suspect this is having worrisome effects on my health. For example, I looked at one of my students the other day and I swear he looked just like a delicious turkey sandwich -- with fresh tomatoes, nice mustard, fresh sage and black pepper, on chewy sour-dough... mmm... the girl sitting next to him looked like a nice glass of pale ale. There were crunchy potato chips in a near-by desk.

That is all.

-Idris

4 Comments:

Blogger Akrasia said...

Ya-hoo! A new post!

You'll have to tell me about this painful, convoluted personal drama at some point, Idris. I love those things.

Good luck teaching!

2:07 PM  
Blogger Idris said...

I am sure that will be cold comfort to folks: I would eat you, but that would be unlawful!

It is like one of my students who asked, upon learning that I might be an atheist, why I don't just go out and murder people.

I should hope that what stops my students from going on killing rampages is not that killing is forbidden by God, but rather that killing wrong (not to mention personally distasteful).

Teaching, by the way, has been a blast. I've been rocking out on epistemology recently and am about to cross over into the philosophy of mind/epistemology intersection... though this weekend I have to grad, which doesn't precisely rock.

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm almost a year late asking (reading the post, that is), but could you please define "wrong" for me? Thanks.

12:03 AM  
Blogger Idris said...

Wrong: adj, applying to those things that are not to be done.

...ok ok... so you might wish for a definition -- an analysis -- of what it is for something to be such that it is not to be done.

I am afraid that this is not to be... it turns out that hardly anything possesses an analysis. Being such as not to be done, is not different from the property of being a muskrat in this regard.

Maybe you want a theory that tells you a little about what suffices for being wrong or maybe something informative about what is necessary for being wrong... this is a more promising desire, but not one I can satisfy, though I will be teaching Ethics in the fall. I'll get back to you then.

BTW: thanks for dropping by the old blog, it has been more or less defunct for a while, though I've been feeling like firing it up again. How's things?

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home