Monday, May 08, 2006

Epistemic Internalism and The Agential Regulation of Belief

It has been argued that Epistemic Internalism -- which I'll here take as the claim that "the justificatory status of a person's doxastic attitudes strongly supervenes on the person's mental states, events, and conditions." -- is supported by the idea that one of the jobs of an account of justification is to provide guidance to those who would improve their doxastic practice. This reasoning rests on a mistaken understanding of what guidance requires.

Steve Petersen argues on these grounds in favor of a kind of internalist epistemology. Likewise, Pollock and Cruz, make reference to this kind of reasoning in their defense of internalism about justification:

"If improvement is to be possible, however, it needs to be possible to determine which belief among many candidate beliefs is most justified. Internalists have been driven, then, by what we might think of as rational solipsism since, in their view, we are alone in the task of refining our beliefs and the only resources we have to work with are the ones that can be brought to bear internally. Second, epistemic concepts have been viewed as deontological in character. That is, it has seemed to many epistemologists that intellectual achievement is at least partly a matter of duty-fulfillment. Fulfilling a duty, however, seems to require that one be able to do the things that duty requires and to determine what oneÂ’s duties are. In order to secure the means to an intellectual duty, an epistemic agent will need to be able to reflect on her condition and on the resources she has available."

Thus they conclude that it is reasonable to suppose that whatever determines the justificatory status of a belief supervenes on an epistemic agent's own mind. The idea is this: only an epistemic agent's own mind is accessible in such a way as to allow for the refinement of belief and the fulfillment of epistemic duty.

As Petersen puts it:

"...any proposed epistemic standard that demands some contingent relation obtain between the thinker's psychological state and something external to it will fail the guidance intuition. For since the standard is contingently relational, all the intrinsic properties of the psychological state could stay the same while its success in obtaining the relation to the things external could change. Therefore, again, error with respect to this standard cannot be cognitively accessible to the thinker."

Petersen, Pollock, and Cruz are all mistaken. The guidance intuition -- as Petersen puts it -- does place some constraints on the kinds of factors that make for certain kinds of epistemic value. Likewise, the fact that we might have epistemic duties probably constrains the the kinds of factors that make for certain kinds of epistemic value. However, the result is not that these kinds of epistemic value must inhere in the internal -- introspectively accessible -- state of the epistemic agent.

What is plausibly required is that these factors be cognitively accessible, full stop. If that which makes for epistemically valuable belief is beyond my ken, then I can hardly be blamed for failing to regulate my belief in its light. This is because I cannot seek to regulate my belief in light of what is beyond my ken.

Petersen's worry (and I think Pollock and Cruz's) is that facts external to me cannot be accessible, since they might vary while I stay the same. (This is an entailment of their being external to me.) Accordingly, PP&C conclude, those dimensions of epistemic value in light of which I might be expected or wish to regulate by belief must be internal to me.

However, I doubt that the mere contingency of my grasp on the external facts is enough to put those facts beyond my ken. Consider the position of a security guard supervising a government lab via closed circuit TV. Does he have access to the facts about how things are going in the government lab? Given that the cameras etc. are in working order, the guard has access to activities in the lab. Of course, the image on his TV screen is such that it could exist, even while superspies have damaged the cameras in the lab, but this doesn't by itself defeat the claim that he has access to the facts. A mode of access might be reliable without being necessarily reliable.

My possession of access to some domain of facts requires that those facts have some impact on me. Thus it is clear that if I am to regulate my beliefs in light of their justificatory status it had better be possible for the justificatory status of my beliefs to have some impact on me. However, so long as the factors that constitute that status are accessible to me, they needn't be internal to me -- needn't be constituted by my mental states, relations between my mental states, etc. They needn't be internal to me because access doesn't require necessitation.

May 22nd: Welcome carnies! Many thanks to anniemiz for organizing the gala.

57 Comments:

Blogger Steve Petersen said...

You may remember from my dissertation or paper that I agree with you, Idris; see my "color patch case", where supervenience is violated without a reasonable claim to different epistemic norms. Supervenience on the mental is necessary but not sufficient for a norm to "guide" and thus, I would say, necessary but not sufficient to be an "internal" norm.

The game as I see it - to the extent it's worth playing - is to figure out what's meant by "accessible" ...

8:28 PM  
Blogger Idris said...

Steve:

Thanks for the comment. I should be clearer: I agree with your argument that mere identity of intrinsic mental state is insufficient for identity of justificatory status.

But the post was aimed (in a critical way) at the claim that supervenience is necessary to satisfy the guidance intuition.

For example, you reason as follows: Q: why can't truth be a norm I can use to regulate my belief? A: because I lack access to the truth value of my beliefs.

Well... it is probably true that for anything I truly believe an intrinsic duplicate of me might falsely believe that thing. But it doesn't seem to follow from this that I lack access to the truth of my beliefs.

I can often, for example, _ask_ someone. "Lakeshore is east of State, right?" If they say "No", then I might have thereby gained access to the fact that my belief that Lakeshore is east of State is false. Access baby!

BTW: I need to read your chapter IV more carefully, but it doesn't seem on first glance to add much to the stuff about access. ...on first glance.

BTW: Congrats on the job, by the way. I checked out the website and the campus looks pretty fetching.

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Magnific!

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please write anything else!

6:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog.

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello all!

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks to author.

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

2MbJ6Q write more, thanks.

1:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please write anything else!

11:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Magnific!

1:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks to author.

2:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please write anything else!

2:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please write anything else!

3:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

4:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Magnific!

5:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Article.

6:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog.

6:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Energizer Bunny Arrested! Charged with battery.

7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When there's a will, I want to be in it.

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please write anything else!

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I.

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks to author.

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake!

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is a free gift ? Aren't all gifts free?

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

C++ should have been called B

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Magnific!

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

C++ should have been called B

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake!

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Build a watch in 179 easy steps - by C. Forsberg.

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Magnific!

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When there's a will, I want to be in it.

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Energizer Bunny Arrested! Charged with battery.

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Magnific!

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Energizer Bunny Arrested! Charged with battery.

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake!

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I.

10:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks to author.

11:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.

12:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

C++ should have been called B

12:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

1:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is a free gift ? Aren't all gifts free?

3:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lot of people mistake a short memory for a clear conscience.

4:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

4:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If ignorance is bliss, you must be orgasmic.

5:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

6:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.

7:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Build a watch in 179 easy steps - by C. Forsberg.

7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

C++ should have been called B

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Magnific!

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home